Patrimony

We deny to claim "any Superiority to ourself
to defyne, decyde, or determyn any Article or Poynt
of the Christian Fayth and Relligion,
or to chang any Ancient Ceremony of the Church
from the Forme before received and observed
by the Catholick and Apostolick Church."

Norman Simplicity

Norman Simplicity
Click image for original | © Vitrearum (Allan Barton)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Another

The Ordinal of the papal court from Innocent III to Boniface VIII and related documents by Stephen J. P. van Dijk; completed by Joan Hazelden Walker (Fribourg: University Press, 1975) is one of those books one just can't find anywhere. So far as I can read it online, it gives a completely different rendering of the beginning of the sequence:

  1. Domine in tua: O Lord, I trust in your merciful love. My heart will rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord who has been bountiful with me.

    Deus in te sperantium: O GOD, the strength of all those who put their trust in thee; Mercifully accept our prayers; and because, through the weakness of our mortal nature, we can do no good thing without thee, grant us the help of thy grace, that in keeping thy commandments we may please thee, both in will and deed; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    1 St. John iv. 8. (Love Comes from God)

    St. Luke vi. 36. (Love Your Enemies)

  2. Factus est: The Lord became my protector, and He brought me forth into a large place: He saved me, because He was well pleased with me.

    Sancti nominis tuis: O LORD, who never failest to help and govern those whom thou dost bring up in thy stedfast fear and love; Keep us, we beseech thee, under the protection of thy good providence, and make us to have a perpetual fear and love of thy holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    1 St. John iii. 13. (Love One Another)

    St. Luke xiv. 16. (The Parable of the Banquet)

  3. Respice in me: Look Thou upon me, O Lord, and have mercy on me: for I am alone and poor. See my abjection and my labor; and forgive me all my sins, O my God.

    Protector in te sperantium: O GOD, the protector of all that trust in thee, without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy; Increase and multiply upon us thy mercy; that, thou being our ruler and guide, we may so pass through things temporal, that we finally lose not the things eternal. Grant this, O heavenly Father, for Jesus Christ's sake our Lord. Amen.

    1 St. Peter v. 6. (Cast Your Cares on Him)

    St. Luke xv. 1. (The Parable of the Lost Sheep)

  4. Dominus illuminatio: The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid? My enemies that trouble me have themselves been weakened and have fallen.

    Da nobis … Domine: GRANT, O Lord, we beseech thee, that the course of this world may be so peaceably ordered by thy governance, that thy Church may joyfully serve thee in all godly quietness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    Romans viii. 18. (Future Glory)

    St. Luke v. 3. (Jesus Calls His First Disciples)

  5. Exaudi Domine: Hear, O Lord, my voice with which I have cried to Thee: be Thou my helper, forsake me not, nor do Thou despise me, O God, my Savior

    Deus qui diligentibus: O GOD, who hast prepared for those who love thee such good things as pass man's understanding; Pour into our hearts such love toward thee, that we, loving thee above all things, may obtain thy promises, which exceed all that we can desire; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

    1 St. Peter iii. 8. (Turn from Evil)

    St. Matthew v. 20. (Jesus Fulfills the Law)

  6. Dominus fortitudo: The Lord is the strength of His people, and the protector of the salvation of His anointed: save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance, and rule them for ever.

    Deus virtutum: LORD of all power and might, who art the author and giver of all good things; Graft in our hearts the love of thy Name, increase in us true religion, nourish us with all goodness, and of thy great mercy keep us in the same; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    Romans vi. 3. (Dead to Sin, Alive to God)

    St. Mark viii. 1. (The Feeding of the Four Thousand)

  7. Omnes gentes: Clap your hands, all ye nations: shout unto God with the voice of joy.

    Deus cujus providentia: O GOD, whose never-failing providence ordereth all things both in heaven and earth; We humbly beseech thee to put away from us all hurtful things, and to give us those things which are profitable for us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    Romans vi. 19. (The Wages of Sin)

    St. Matthew vii. 15. (A Tree and its Fruits)

  8. Suscepimus Deus: We have received Thy mercy, O God, in the midst of Thy temple; according to Thy Name, O God, so also is Thy praise unto the ends of the earth; Thy right hand is full of justice.

    Largire nobis: GRANT to us, Lord, we beseech thee, the spirit to think and do always such things as are right; that we, who cannot do any thing that is good without thee, may by thee be enabled to live according to thy will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    Romans viii. 12. (Heirs with Christ)

    St. Matthew xvi. 1. (Pharisees and Sadducees Seek a Sign)

  9. Ecce Deus adiuvat: Behold God is my helper, and the Lord is the protector of my soul: turn back the evils upon my enemies, and cut them off in Thy truth, O Lord my protector.

    Pateant aures: LET thy merciful ears, O Lord, be open to the prayers of thy humble servants; and, that they may obtain their petitions, make them to ask such things as shall please thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    1 Corinthians x. 6. (Warnings from Israel’s Past)

    St. Luke xix. 41. (Jesus Weeps over Jerusalem)

  10. Cum clamarum: When I cried to the Lord He heard my voice, from them that draw near to me; and He humbled them, who is before all ages, and remains for ever: cast thy care upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee.

    Deus qui omnipotentiam: O GOD, who declarest thy almighty power chiefly in showing mercy and pity; Mercifully grant unto us such a measure of thy grace, that we, running the way of thy commandments, may obtain thy gracious promises, and be made partakers of thy heavenly treasure; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    1 Corinthians xii. 2. (Spiritual Gifts Bestowed)

    St. Luke xviii. 9 (The Pharisee and the Tax Collector)

  11. Deus in Loco: God in His holy place; God who maketh men of one mind to dwell in a house; He shall give power and strength to His people.

    Omnipotens sempiterne Deus: ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who art always more ready to hear than we to pray, and art wont to give more than either we desire or deserve; Pour down upon us the abundance of thy mercy; forgiving us those things whereof our conscience is afraid, and giving us those good things which we are not worthy to ask, but through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, thy Son, our Lord. Amen.

    1 Corinthians xv. 1. (The Resurrection of Christ)

    St. Mark vii. 31. (Jesus Heals a Deaf and Mute Man)

  12. Deus in adjutorium: Incline unto my aid, O God: O Lord, make haste to help me: let my enemies be confounded and ashamed, who seek my soul.

    Omnipotens et misericors: ALMIGHTY and merciful God, of whose only gift it cometh that thy faithful people do unto thee true and laudable service; Grant, we beseech thee, that we may so faithfully serve thee in this life, that we fail not finally to attain thy heavenly promises; through the merits of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    2 Corinthians iii. 4. (Ministers of a New Covenant)

    St. Luke x. 23. (Good Samaritan)

No comments:

Post a Comment